Oh, how I remember eating this growing up. It is filling, easy, and delicious not to mention another comfort food for me. I adapted the original recipe the other day because this is what I had in my fridge to use up. Instead of baking it like my mom did (I do like it better that way), I threw it all in my slow cooker. 4 hours later chicken and rice was born and devoured.
Pictures do no justice but I am not a photographer by any means. Some of the ugliest food is the best anyway. In no way is this dish dry, the rice is covered in a gravy sauce and the chicken is incredibly moist.
- 2 chicken breast (mine were still frozen)
- 1 (10 3/4 oz.) can of cream of chicken soup (which I accidentally opened the other day), mom usually uses mushroom soup
- 1 envelope of onion soup mix
- 1 1/4 cup brown rice (which Mr.Picky hates but had no idea because the rice turns brown anyway)
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock (or just water but I had some stock to use up)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp pepper
I threw everything in and stirred it up.
Then placed my chicken in which floated because it was frozen.
Place on low heat for 5-6 hours, or like me I was short on time so it was 2 hours on high and 2 on low.
The chicken can be removed and just shredded and stirred back in, or sliced and served on the side. As you can see I just pulled it out, shredded it a bit and threw it on top of my rice.