We were headed to my sister-in-laws birthday and I was bringing a green salad. Tired of the normal green salad with different dressings, I made everyone step out of the box and brought this. It was a success. Mr.Picky even asked for me to make it again, and I saw many go up for seconds. We had grilled chicken so I just topped my salad and had that for dinner.
Of course cut this recipe in half for a normal meal or dinner, but this is written to feed 10-12 people.
Chopped Salad with BBQ Ranch Dressing:
- 2 heads of romaine or iceberg lettuce (not my usual lettuce picks but you really need a good crunchy lettuce)
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small jicama, thinly sliced or cubed
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 can black olives, drained and sliced
- 3 boiled eggs, chopped or sliced
- 1/2 large bunch of cilantro, chopped or torn
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup cheddar or mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Healthier Ranch recipe, bottle ranch, or packet mixed with mayo and sour cream
- 3 Tbs BBQ sauce, your favorite
- 1-2 Tbs milk, if needed to thin dressing
*I have also added black beans and grilled chicken to this salad if we are eating as a main dish. Some crispy fried onions or crispy fried jalapenos are great on top as a garnish.
Combine all the salad fixings in a large bowl.
Whisk together dressing or put ingredients in a jar and shake, until smooth.
Dress salad just before serving with dressing, add a bit at a time until the salad is coated evenly.