Mr.Picky is out-of-town weekly driving truck. In order for us to save money and eat healthy we pack his food for the four days he is gone. This is probably no different to those of you who make ahead breakfasts and lunches for the week in order to help stick to a healthy lifestyle. Planning ahead and preparing food is something that helps my days run smoothly.
Breakfast burritos is a go to for our whole family. Mr.Picky loves anything in a tortilla, and I can often add vegetables to my filling and no one complains.
I will take burrito filling and tortillas on trips and we can pretty much heat them up anywhere. Mr.Picky likes to take burritos wrapped and made, so he just has to heat and go in the morning.
These burritos will last a good four days in the fridge made up, and even longer if you keep your filling and wraps separate.
Breakfast Burrito Filling:
The burrito filling can make as much or as little as you would like. Add your favorites, and leave out what you don’t like. My instructions are general and I am only listing things that I have put into my burritos on different occasions. Add as much or as little as you would like. In general I will pick a meat or two, potatoes, eggs, gravy, and a few vegetables. The one thing I think that makes a difference is some country gravy mixed in so the filling is not dry.
- Ground breakfast sausage, browned and crumbled
- Bacon, cooked and chopped
- Ham, diced
- Ground turkey and chorizo, cooked and crumbled
- Onion, diced and sautéed
- Bell Peppers, diced and sautéed
- Spinach, wilted slightly and chopped
- Green onions, chopped
- Potatoes, shredded or diced and cooked until done
- Eggs, scrambled
- Country gravy, homemade or packaged
- Cheddar or Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- Tortillas or sometimes we use “Pocket Thins” similar to a soft pita