I got this recipe out of one of my favorite cookbooks from a local author Frances A. Gillette. Although all of her cookbooks are wonderful, Zesty Grilled Chicken Salad came out of Romancing the West.
This salad is great on a summer night, and is really a one dish meal. You have protein and lots of greens, so please enjoy.
Zesty Grilled Chicken Salad:
- 1-2 grilled chicken breast
- 2 Romaine lettuce hearts, chopped
- 1 cucumber, seeded and sliced
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 3/4 cup of black olives, cut in halves
- 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 3 Tbs plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 3 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 4-6 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
The original directions say to use grilled chicken breasts. We have found, we love roasted red pepper salad dressing to marinate chicken for about 1-4 hours. We then use the BBQ or indoor grill to grill it until done. Always allow chicken to rest 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Using a blender or immersion blender, blend 1/2 cup of feta cheese and remaining dressing ingredients until smooth. Stir in onion and allow to sit in the fridge. I blend it all in a wide mouth jar, add my onion, throw a lid on it.
Toss all salad ingredients with dressing.